Key Points
- Serious Allegations: Former world snooker champion Graeme Dott, 49, is on trial at the High Court in Glasgow facing historic charges of lewd, indecent, and libidinous practices towards two primary school-aged children.
- Timeline and Scope: The allegations involve a girl between 1993 and 1996 in the Glasgow region, and a boy between 2006 and 2010 in South Lanarkshire.
- Prosecution Closing Argument: Advocate depute Lindsey Dalziel delivered her closing speech to the jury, stating that Dott “subjected young children to the worst kind of abuse” and calling for a guilty verdict on both charges.
- Defence Position: Dott has denied all charges, with defence counsel Euan Dow previously stating that the allegations are fabricated and entirely without truth.
- Current Status: The trial continues before judge Lord Harrower at the High Court in Glasgow.
Glasgow (Glasgow Express) August 21, 2026 – Former world snooker champion Graeme Dott “subjected young children to the worst kind of abuse”, a prosecutor told a court during closing arguments.
The 49-year-old sports star is currently standing trial at the High Court in Glasgow, accused of lewd, indecent, and libidinous behaviour towards two children who were both of primary school age at the time of the alleged offences. Dott faces two separate charges spanning a seventeen-year period and has formally denied all allegations against him.
What Are the Details of the Prosecution’s Closing Speech?
Addressing the jury during her closing submission on Friday, advocate depute Lindsey Dalziel called upon jurors to convict Dott on both charges on the indictment.
As reported in court proceedings, Dalziel urged the jury to consider the detailed testimonies heard throughout the trial, stating:
“The evidence in this case has not been easy to listen to at times. I suggest the reason for that is you have heard very real, very graphic details of childhood sexual abuse.”
Dalziel submitted to the court that the former professional sportsman had targeted vulnerable young victims, telling the panel that Dott had subjected primary school-aged children to “the worst kind of abuse.”
What Allegations Face the Former Snooker Champion?
The indictment against Dott details allegations involving two complainants in Scotland. The first charge involves a female complainant and relates to alleged incidents occurring between 1993 and 1996 in the Glasgow region.
The second charge concerns a male complainant and spans between 2006 and 2010 at locations including a property and inside a motor vehicle in South Lanarkshire.
Both charges state that the alleged behaviour occurred on various occasions while the children were of primary school age. Dott has maintained his innocence throughout the legal proceedings. During earlier preliminary hearings, as reported by PA Media, defence advocate Euan Dow stated to the court:
“He pleads not guilty to two charges on the indictment. The position of the accused is that the allegations are fabricated and there is no truth in any of them.”
What Did the Female Complainant Detail in Testimony?
As reported by Sky News reporter Sky Sports News staff, the female complainant, now in her 40s, gave evidence earlier in the trial detailing her recollections from the 1990s. The witness recalled an initial incident involving an indoor piggyback ride, during which she alleged Dott touched her inappropriately over her clothing. She told prosecutor Lindsey Dalziel:
“I remember it was odd to me. I think he said ‘does that feel nice’ or something. I can’t really recall.”
The witness further described an alleged “guessing game” where she was asked to identify actions while being touched inappropriately. She testified that this occurred on more than one occasion.
The court also heard that she initially reported the matters to the police in 2001 following advice from a school guidance teacher, before being contacted again by officers in November 2024.
The trial, presided over by Lord Harrower, continues at the High Court in Glasgow.
Explore More uk/local/">Local Glasgow News
£270m Partnership to Build 1,000 Homes in Possilpark 2026
Emergency Services Tape Off Elmbank Street in Glasgow 2026
Background of the Particular Development
Graeme Dott turned professional as a snooker player in 1994, building a prominent career in the sport over three decades.
His career peak occurred in 2006 when he won the World Snooker Championship at the Crucible Theatre in Sheffield, defeating Peter Ebdon in the final. He was also a two-time runner-up in the World Championship, reaching the final in 2004 against Ronnie O’Sullivan and in 2010 against Neil Robertson.
Following the formal announcement of court charges in April 2025, the World Professional Billiards and Snooker Association (WPBSA) officially suspended Dott from participating in all professional tour events pending the resolution of judicial proceedings.
Prediction: How This Development Can Affect Professional Snooker and the Sports Community
The progression of high-profile criminal trials involving major sports figures invariably impacts administrative frameworks within professional athletics.
For the snooker community and governing bodies such as the WPBSA, this development emphasizes strict safeguarding protocols and governance policies regarding official suspensions during ongoing criminal matters.
Depending on the ultimate judicial verdict reached by the jury, the outcome will dictate whether Dott faces permanent exclusion from professional sport or potential legal restitution, while establishing standards for how professional sports organisations handle historical abuse allegations involving active or retired athletes.
